Bee Orchids Huncote embankment 16th June 2008.





Following an email message from Adey Baker, I drove over to Huncote embankment (part of Croft Quarry) to photo the group of 10 Bee Orchids he had found earlier.
I soon located the orchids just below the top of the embankment and took a number of photos of these lovely orchids.
What is slightly unusual about these orchids is that there have never occurred here at this site before?
One theory is that maybe the plants have been transported via the build up of the embankment a few years ago?
As the surrounding Croft Quarry is the wrong rock type for flowering Bee Orchids!

Comments

Lovely photo in a location that I've not been aware of.I've found a few Bee Orchids this year in the more usual locations around Clitheroe at the Crosshill Quarry and Salthill Quarry. I also found a single flower on Newborough Warren on Anglesey in June.

Popular posts from this blog

Indiana Dave and the quest for Derbyshire Orchids 6th June 2008.