Return to Caerlaverock 2nd January 2009.


A fantastic shot of the Richardson's Goose!

small race Richardson's honest!

A very cold Folly's Pond in the afternoon sunshine.

As I returned home from Glasgow last Friday I stopped off at Caerlaverock WWT on way home.
I have only been to this reserve a couple of times but it's fantastic to see Geese and Ducks at a very close range. Sightings I saw around the reserve included the Drake American Wigeon, 4,000+ Barnacle Goose, a"small race" Richardson's Canada Goose,100+ Whooper Swans, 1st winter female-type Scaup, and good numbers of Wigeon, Teal and Tufted Duck. Also on the mammal front, I noted a nice group of six Roe Deers feeding in fields by the Avenue Tower hide.
Although I didn't connect with the other "small race" Canada Geese it was still a joy to watch and hear the calls of the Barnacle Geese coming into roost towards dusk.

After watching the Geese and Swans coming into roost the only problem was the long drive home!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Indiana Dave and the quest for Derbyshire Orchids 6th June 2008.