Over the week: Bio-blitz, Purple patch and some orchids

For the last few days since the Bank Holiday I have been working my socks off at the General Hospital, so that the why of lack of updates on my blog!
Any way over the last week I have been involved in Leicester wildlife group bird race around the city and my group of birding cyclists saw 62 species in the city boundaries. Although it wasn't the winning total (we lost by four species to John's International crew) and the weather was pants on the Saturday it was still a very enjoyable day!
Over the same weekend I also did my bit for the Bio-Blitz down at Watermead CP and noted around 70 bird species in the two sections of the country park. Highlights included the long staying Red-crested Pochard and the drake Garganey at Watermead CP South and two hawking Hobbies at Watermead CP North.

At the present moment Leicestershire seems to be having a real purple patch on the birding front, with two county firsts(Buff-breasted Sandpiper and Broad-billed Sandpiper) in the space of a few days, and a good number of quality birds like the Blue-winged Teal at Groby Pool, a singing Wood Warbler,a Spoonbill in the Soar Valley,3 Firecrests in Charnwood, two White-winged Black Terns at Rutty, and loads of unusual waders at a number of sites! So I just wonder what is going to turn up next?.... may be something like a Bridled Tern would be nice!?!

On the orchid front I checked out a couple of sites in the last day or so and at the moment nothing to show but will be concentrating more on this in the next few weeks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Indiana Dave and the quest for Derbyshire Orchids 6th June 2008.