Bee Orchids 2: More god dam mutants!!

On Saturday I drove over to a couple of sites in the Midlands, were I photographed more "mutant" Bee Orchids.
The varieties I went to see included Var. bicolor, Var.belgarum and Var.trollii (or Wasp Orchid for short).
At the first site in Oxfordshire, I noticed that most of the Bee Orchids had gone over and although I couldn't find the Var.Belgarum type I did get some decent shots of the "Wasp Orchids".
Then driving into Warwickshire and probably the highlight of the day I find the Var.bicolor next to a busy round-about not far from Shakespeare birthplace.


The only other wildlife sightings I saw during the day included small numbers of Marbled White butterflies and a single Red Kite over the village of Long Compton in Warwickshire.

Comments

abbey meadows said…
Bee orchids are very rare up here but I've never had a good look at them to look for mutants. The only different one I have seen have been white. Great pics. Interesting you mention old coal sites. Some of the best sites for plants up here are in the former coalfields areas and inland where contamination from heavy metal sites (old lead mines)produce excellent flora.

Popular posts from this blog

Indiana Dave and the quest for Derbyshire Orchids 6th June 2008.