Leicester Year list update:

As I have been on annual leave this week I have been checking a few sites in the city boundaries for the Leicester year list.
With Western Park on my door step it was quite logical to check this site first!
So over a couple of hours walking round the park I found at least four year tick in the form of Lesser Redpoll, Siskin, Jay and Nuthatch.
The other usual suspects included at least 4 Great Spotted Woodpeckers,Green Woodpecker, and good numbers of finches.
The next site I checked was just in the city boundaries at Birstall Lodge Farm, next to Birstall golf course.
At this site I had been informed that Yellowhammer and Grey Partridge had been seen in the last few days, so parking on the old Thurcaston road, I scanned the fields and straight away I picked up a group of 7 Red-legged Partridges, a singing Yellowhammer and then totally out of the blue a Woodcock flying over the new Thurcaston road! GET IN!! Another 3 year ticks on the list!
Buoyed with these new ticks the final site I went to was Watermead CP South, again just on the edge of the city boundaries.
I checked the gull flock out again, but still no Med Gull for my efforts! The gulls on show included good numbers of Black heads and Common Gulls, and the odd Herring and Lesser BB Gull.
So not a bad day on the whole in the city boundaries, and I think if I'm lucky this year I should get in the region of 110 species for the year! He's Hoping?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Indiana Dave and the quest for Derbyshire Orchids 6th June 2008.