Back to the Mainland from Shetland.



I returned home yesterday afternoon from my trip to Shetland.

On the whole it was very quiet from my previous trip last year, with only a couple BB rarities seen during the week.
I think the problem with the trip was that the weather conditions were not great for Shetland to produce a fall of migrants.
The highlight of the trip was John, Andy Lawson and myself finding a Siberian Stonechat in fields just below the top quarry at Sumburgh Head. Hugh Harrop joined us later and with help from his camera we identified the bird as a probable 1st winter male.

Other highlights of the trip included finding a Barred Warbler in the garden of the house(Nordgerdi) we were staying at; finding at least six Yellow-browed Warblers in a variety of locations in the South Mainland and seeing Little Bunting and Red breasted Flycatcher at Sumburgh head, an elusive Great Grey Shrike at the Sumburgh hotel gardens, a fly-by Red throated Pipit at the valley of plenty(Clevigarth I think?) and a non camera shy Long-eared Owl at Quendale Mill.
Although I didn't have any life ticks this time around I will of course be looking forward to my next trip to Shetland hopefully sooner than later.


photos of the Siberian Stonechat copyright of Hugh Harrop.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Indiana Dave and the quest for Derbyshire Orchids 6th June 2008.