Soar Valley update....Spring has sprung!!

With a few days off before my nights start I have been down the Soar Valley most of the time.
So over the last few days I have added more species to my Soar Valley year list, which now stands at 125 species for the year.
These have come in the form of a Common Tern on King Lear's Lake at Watermead CP North on the 17th, a "reeling" Grasshopper Warbler on Barber's rough at Cossington Meadows on the 18th, and five year ticks on the 19th! A Lesser Whitethroat and Swift at Watermead CP South, a summer plumaged Dunlin on Wanlip Meadows, a nice male Yellow Wagtail in horse paddocks by Cossington Village and a Common Sandpiper on Hobley's Lake, Cossington Meadows.
On the 20th, and probably the highlight of the week, Pete Jessop let me know that a Willow Tit was showing well from the Kingfisher Hide feeding station, so it was a good thing I was just around the corner from the hide and connected with the bird within a couple of minutes. Too put this sighting into context, it was the first time in two years that a Willow Tit has been recorded at this site!
My latest year tick came this morning (22/4/10) when I found a singing Garden Warbler at Watermead CP North and it felt like that spring had finally sprung!?
As I'm on nights over the weekend I wholly expect a phone call or text to wake me up and let me know that a good bird has been found in the Soar Valley, he's hoping?!.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Indiana Dave and the quest for Derbyshire Orchids 6th June 2008.